The Oklahoma Field Office, located in Oklahoma City, covers all 77 of the state’s counties. Careers in Oklahoma include (non-exhaustively):
1. Fraud and corruption (encompassing mortgage, health care, tax and bank fraud).
2. Counterintelligence and terror threats both domestic and international.
Violent crime (including bank robberies, assaults, child sexual exploitation and illegal weapons dealings).
3. Cyber crimes (overseen by Oklahoma’s InfraGard Chapter).
Becoming an FBI Special Agent in Oklahoma
In Oklahoma, there are skilled professionals and Special Agents, and all work in high risk environments that involve a lot of long hours and travel. Candidates wishing to become an FBI agent in Oklahoma must:
1. Be a citizen of the U.S. or U.S. territory.
2. Be between the ages of 23 and 37 (although veterans may still be eligible).
3. Have at least a four year bachelor’s degree from an approved school.
4. Have at least three years of relevant work experience.
5. Having a valid U.S. drivers licence.
6. Passing and FBI background check.
7. Passing an FBI medical exam including vision and hearing tests.
8. Passing a drug test, and not having used illicit drugs in the past ten years.
9. Passing rigorous fitness testing.
10. Not have defaulted on student loans.
11. Having not committed a felony offence.
12. Having the ability and willingness to work anywhere in the FBI’s jurisdiction.
To apply for an FBI role in Oklahoma, candidates can give their application to the Oklahoma City office, or call on 405-290-7770 for more information. It can take between six months to a year for the hiring process to occur. The process includes:
1. An online application.
2. A three hour computer exam including a tests for logic, behavior and cognitive ability.
3. Introduction to Special Agents across the U.S.
4. A review of skills and specialisations by FBI headquarters
5. A 90 minute written exam and hour long oral exam.
6. A rigorous physical fitness test.
7. A security background check including a polygraph test.
8. A thorough medical examination.
Oklahoma City Agents start on a GS 10 entry-level salary of $43,441, as well as a living adjustment 2.83% of the base wage.
FBI Jobs in Oklahoma
Along with the field office in Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma FBI has 11 satellite offices located at Woodward, Vinita, Tulsa, Stillwater, Norman, Muskogee, McAlester, Lawton, Elk City, Durant and Ardmore. Each of these resident agencies specialises in jobs including:
1. Computer Analysis and Response Teams (CART) This team deals with computer forensics. They gather digital evidence from electronic devices to a standard that can be used in court.
2. Evidence Response Teams: This team gathers evidence from crime scenes, right down to the tiniest shreds. The Oklahoma City has three ERTs with eight Agents per team.
3. A Specialized Weapons and Tactics Team: This 15-agent team (better known as SWAT) infiltrates secured facilities and has high level training with various weapons.
4. Language Specialists: Linguists translate both audio and written evidence in foreign languages.
5. HAZMAT Experts: This team deals with hazardous materials including radiological, biological and chemical.
6. Special Agent Bomb Technicians: There are three Bomb Technicians in Oklahoma City and they deal with all cases including explosives.