The City of Portland is home to the Oregon FBI Field Office, while the state also has five more satellite offices. FBI Agents in Oregon must be able to:
1. Interview witness and suspects.
2. Analyse financial records.
3. Handle undercover missions.
4. Manage crime scenes.
5. Carry out surveillance.
6. Arrest suspects.
7. Develop informants.
8. Gather information and intelligence internationally.
Becoming an FBI Special Agent in Oregon
Candidates wishing to become an FBI agent in Oregon must:
1. Be a citizen of the U.S. or U.S. territory.
2. Be between the ages of 23 and 37 (although veterans may still be eligible).
3. Have at least a four year bachelor’s degree from an approved school.
4. Specialise in one of the following: cyber security, information assurance, electrical or computer engineering, mathamatics, network administration, ethical hacking, computer forensics or information technology.
5. Have the following core competencies: oral communication, writing, leadership, decision making, evaluating information, initiative, motivation, interpersonal skills, flexibility, adaptability, planning, organizing and prioritizing
6. Have the ability and willingness to work anywhere in the FBI’s jurisdiction.
Applicants can express their interest at local FBI Field Offices and Resident Agencies. The Portland FBI Field Office can be contacted at (503) 224-2181.
FBI Jobs in Oregon
Being the ninth largest state, Oregon is nearly 100,000 square miles in area. Because of this, the FBI has a strong presence across the entire state with offices in:
1. Portland, which covers the Clatsop, Clackamas, Washington, Multnomah, Hood River and Columbia counties.
2. Pendleton, which covers the Wallowa, Union, Umatilla, Sherman, Morrow, Malheur, Gilliam and Baker; and the Indian reservations Ft. McDermott and Umatilla counties.
3. Bend, which covers the Wasco, Lake, Klamath, Wheeler, Jefferson, Harney, Grant, Deschutes, and Crook, and the Indian reservations Burns-Paiute and Warm Springs counties.
4. Salem, which covers the Yamhill, Tillamook, Polk, Marion, Linn and Lincoln counties.
5. Medford, which covers the Josephine, Jackson and Curry counties.
6. Eugene, which covers the Lane, Douglas, Coos and Benton counties.
There are both Special Agents and other professionals employed in Portland, including:
1. An Investigative Specialist, who deals with surveillance and counterintelligence or counterterrorism support.
2. An Intelligence Analyst, who collects evidence and knowledge to assist in the creation of intelligence policies.
Financial Analyst- Involved in the business management of the FBI, its employees, its equipment, and its cases
3. A Language Specialist who translates foreign languages at an expert level.
4. An Evidence Response Team that team gathers evidence from crime scenes, right down to the tiniest shreds.
5. A Specialized Weapons and Tactics Team that infiltrates secured facilities and has high level training with various weapons.
6. A Victim Assistance Specialist who helps and supports victims of federal crimes.
7. A HAZMAT Expert who deals with hazardous materials including radiological, biological and chemical.
8. A Computer Analysis and Response Teams (CART) that deals with computer forensics.